This Cajun blend is an essential component to Gumbo. Use it to taste after cooking. File Powder can be stirred into Gumbo just before eating.
This Cajun blend is an essential component to Gumbo. Use it to taste after cooking. File Powder can be stirred into Gumbo just before eating. Our Gumbo File Powder also acts as a thickener when added to liquid which is what gives gumbo its traditional texture. Sassafras leaves have been in use for a long time. American Indians used sassafras leaves and created a powder that they added to soups and stews.
The roots and bark from the sassafras tree contain the carcinogen safrole but the ground version is made from ground sassafras leaves which do not contain safrole so they can be used safely. Great for cooking authentic Creole or Cajun cuisine, soups and stews.
It is recommended to store in a cool, dark place.
Also try our thyme.
- Bulk Pack – packed in a clear plastic food-grade zip lock bag
- 25 LB Bulk Pack – packed in a food-grade liner inside a box
- Small Bottle – packed in one clear, 5.5 fl oz plastic bottle
- Medium Bottle – packed in one clear, 32 fl oz plastic bottle
- Large Bottle – packed in one clear, 160 fl oz plastic bottle
- Pail Pack – packed in one 4.25 gallon plastic pail
1 Pound Bulk, 5 Pound Bulk, 25 Pound Bulk, 12 Oz Medium Bottle, 80 Oz Large Bottle, 15 Pound Pail
Our standard products ship in the following containers:
- 1 pound bulk
- 5 pound bulk
- 25 pound bulk
- Small 5.5 fl oz bottle (5″ tall x 2″ round)
- Medium 32 fl oz bottle (8″ tall x 3.5″ wide x 2.5″ deep)
- Large 160 fl oz bottle (10.5″ tall x 7.5″ wide x 4.5″ deep)
- Pail pack
Bulk Pack is packed in a clear plastic food-grade zip lock bag. The 25 LB Bulk Pack is packed in a food-grade liner inside a box.
*Some products are not available in all packaging sizes. Check each individual product for availability.