This vegetarian tortilla soup recipe has been a staff favorite for over a decade. I tend to add a little more cumin and pepper than the recipe calls for because these spices are what gives it that special flavor that everyone loves.
Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound frozen pepper and onion stir fry mix
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounces chopped green chile peppers
- 24 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 11 ounces whole kernel corn
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the pepper and online stir fry mix, garlic and cumin. Cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are tender. Stir in the tomatoes and chile peppers. Pour in the broth. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes.
Mix corn into the soup, and continue cooking 5 minutes. Serve in bowls over equal amounts of tortilla chips. Top with cheese and avocado.